"This fascinating course works as a compendium of all you need to know about establishing a nursery and running it to its maximum profitability. Everything from site selection, plant specialisation, irrigation and feeding techniques, to marketing strategies, cost analyses, and employee productivity is covered. Nursery managers and owners alike will benefit tremendously from completing this course." - Gavin Cole B.Sc., Psych.Cert., Cert.Garden Design, MACA.
Why not start your own production nursery?
Do you want to supply quality plants to the retail market?
... Then learn about establishing your own business here!
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Nursery Site Organisation: Buying an established nursery or establishing a new site, site planning, estimating space requirements.
- Management: Government and commercial nurseries, partnerships, companies, sole proprietorships, developing a management structure, labour relations and seasonal staff, work programs and production timing.
- Nutrition and Pest Management: Field crops, container plants, principles of fertiliser use and plant nutrition.
- Growing Media: Soils and soil-free mixes, rockwool, sterilisation, techniques.
- Irrigation: Methods and equipment, estimation of water requirements and use of liquid fertilisers through irrigation.
- Modifying Plant Growth: Modification techniques, flower forcing and quality control.
- Marketing Strategies: Exploiting existing markets, developing new markets, advertising, product presentation, pricing, plant recycling.
- Selection of Nursery Crops: Developing a stock list, operational flow charts, market surveys.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Investigate existing wholesale nursery operations.
- Conduct tests to determine chemical and physical characteristics of three different potting mixes.
- Design a classified advertisement, to promote a wholesale nursery, in a specified publication.
- Analyse the management structure of an existing production nursery.
- Evaluate the efficiency of propagating and potting up plants
To learn how to enrol click here