Be a Nut Expert. This course is for the curious grower who wants to learn more about types of warm climate nuts.
For most people, a nut is a type of food and a delightful food at that! Strictly speaking, not all nuts are edible; but this course is only concerned with edible nuts and in particular, the ones that are grown more extensively around the world in warm climates.
The tropical nut trees are dependent on your locality and conditions can vary quite considerably even in tropical areas, for example certain tropical areas may experience frosts. However there are so many varieites worth trying that it is worth learning about them all!
There are eight lessons including a special project in this course. This course is designed as a detailed look at identification and culture of nuts in warmer climates. Emphasis is placed on the species that are of horticultural value.
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Review of the system of plant identification, main groups of nuts, information contacts (i.e. nurseries, seed, clubs etc.)
- Planting, staking, mulching, watering, pest & disease, feeding, pruning, protection from wind, salt air etc.
- This lesson looks at the methods of propagating this group of plants. There is information on propagation in general and on specific species.
- The Macadamia
- This is a species from Australia that has become popular for production in Australia, South Africa and Hawaii.
- The Pecan
- Other Varieties which Grow in Warm Climates, such as an overview of number of old species you never would have thought of.
- Selecting a site and planting a plot.
- The most important aspect of cultivating nuts is the correct site for their cultural needs.
- Growing, harvesting and using nuts.
- There are various methods used and we look at some of those.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Learn about the classification of nuts
- Learn to access sources of organisations specific to nut production
- Learn about the cultural requirements of tropical nuts, as most of the varieties we look at are for the tropics or warm climates.
- Discover the characterisitics of soils. Understand plant nutrition,
- plant health, watering techniques,environmental protection for your crops,
- pest and disease management
- Learn techniques for pruning and maintenance
- Learn how to successfully propagate nut trees; propagtion from nut seeds and cuttings
- grafting, layering,establishing rootstocks.
- Macadamia nut trees are looked at in detail
- Peacan nut trees are looked at in detail.
- Other varieities of nuts such as Pistachio, Cashew Almond, Brazil and other varieties you never knew exsisted, are looked at
- Establishment and horticultural management of tropical nut trees is looked at. Learn about site selection for successful cultivation, planting techniques and factors affecting the selection of a site.
- Then when you have all these factors taken into consideration, the harvesting and storage of nuts is reviewed.
To learn how to enrol click here