Learn to Identify Plants Systematically and Scientifically.
Plant identification is arguably the most important skill for any gardener, landscaper or professional horticulturist; and this is the course that builds that skill.
"This course is great for expanding your knowledge of a variety of plants that you will come across in all aspects of Horticulture. Plant id skills are an absolute requirement of being a Professional Horticulturalist, and this is a good place to gain that knowledge." - Tracey Morris Dip.Hort., Cert.Hort., Cert III Organic Farming
There are 10 lessons in this course:
- The Groups of Plants ? setting a framework for the whole subject. Learn to identify plants from a wide range of taxonomic and cultural groups, using a range of different techniques.
- Use of Plants ? plant selection, soils.
- Australian Native Plants -The growing of native shrubs and trees, including the selection, culture and use of different species.
- Exotic Ornamental Plants -Techniques for the growing of exotic ornamental shrubs and trees, including the selection, culture and use of different species.
- Indoor & Tropical Plants -Growing indoor plants, including selection, culture and use of different varieties
- Bedding Plants -Bedding plants...growing, selection, culture and use of different varieties.
- Vegetables -Techniques for the growing of edible crop plants, including selection, culture and use of vegetables, fruit, berries and nuts (Part A).
- Fruits, Nuts & Berries
- Alternative Growing Techniques ? hydroponics, container growing, terrariums. Determine appropriate applications for a range of alternative growing methods
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.