Learn with this practical course to identify and control pest and diseases in plants. Develop a deep understanding of plant health, the systematic identification of health problems in plants and the techniques for control of those problems. Learn how to maintain high quality gardens for business or home. There is always more than meets the eye and problems can be solved easily with this course.
"If you want to know more about providing optimum care for plants, I suggest this course as a good foundation for learning to deal with any pest or disease problem."- Tracey Morris Dip.Hort., Cert.Hort., Cert III Organic Farming, Tutor.
There are 10 lessons in this course:
- Introduction- Methods to identify problems on plants from pest and disease damage.
- Overview of Preventative Controls-Methods for control of the problems found, both with chemical and non chemical methods.
- Insecticides- Various types of insecticides are discussed
- Other Pesticides- Other types pesticides are looked at
- Spray Equipment- The various methods for using the chemicals and the safe application of them.
- Insect Biology- We have a look at a few of the insects you will come across.
- Fungal Biology-The various problems caused by fungi and bacteria, descriptions of these types and ways to treat them.
- Environmental Problems-Sometimes it is the actual environment around the plant that is causing the problem
- Viruses-Identify some of the characteristics of a virus and ways to treat them.
- Nematodes, Molluscs and Crustaceans-Some of the creatures that look quite innocent are chewing away on your plants. Ways to identify and treat them.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.