There are 11 lessons in this course:
- Introduction to the Nursery Industry: production systems, transport regulations, PVR
- Plant Identification and Taxonomy: systematic botany, plant families, leaf and flower parts
- Nursery Structures and Buildings: greenhouse management, structures for nurseries
- Potting Mixes: U.C. soil mixes, understanding soils, growing media
- Seed Propagation: quality, sources, storage, germination treatments
- Cutting Propagation: stock plants, hormones
- Other Propagation Techniques: tissue culture, division, separation, layering, grafting
- Plant Nutrition in the Nursery: nutrition management,
- Pests and Diseases Control: hygeine
- Other Nursery Tasks: nursery irrigation, modifying plant growth
- Marketing and Sales: sales methods
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Collect, dissect and observe flowers and leaves from six different plant species belonging to two plant families.
- Speak to some of the nurserypeople you have contacted throughout the course to date.
- Find out what you can about their preferences for different types of greenhouses and different shade houses.
- Prepare two different types of propagating media; a soil-less potting media for general use in container growing of plants and a general potting mix containing some soil.
- Contact and collect catalogues from at least six different seed suppliers.
- Collect seed from at least three different plants growing in gardens or bushland and sow this seed.
- Contact (by phone) at least six different nurseries to research seed sourcing.
- Prepare a pot of cuttings and estimate the cost of production for each cutting produced.
- Obtain some pieces of wood and practice preparation of grafts and buds. Prepare three other grafts on a living plant.
To learn how to enrol click here
Nursery Hands Course
Statement of Achievement —
Please enquire for prices and more information
Course Duration: 100 Hours
DeliveryOnline & Correspondence
Course REF: VHT102