There are 6 lessons in this course:
- Plant Identification and Culture. How plants are named, scientific and common names, watering, weed control, when and how to use a glasshouse/shadehouse.
- Plant Propagation. Overview of propagation techniques, propagating mixes, pots, hormones, propagating structures and aids.
- Soils and Nutrition. Soil structure, soil additives, major nutrients, minor nutrients, nutrient deficiencies, salt toxicity, soil mixes, fertilisers.
- Seed Propagation and Nursery Business. Handling seed, pre-germination treatments, handling seedlings, propagating selected species.
- Cutting Propagation. Stem cuttings, leaf cuttings, leaf bud cuttings, propagating selected species by cuttings.
- Pest and Disease. Identifying a problem, insects, fungal diseases, nursery hygiene.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Develop a budget for a hypothetical nursery operation
- Name a soil based on criteria given in the course
- Create a potting mix using a given recipe
- Assess a number of plants for growing profitability
- Prepare a pot of cuttings and estimate the cost of production for each cutting produced
- Prepare a range of different types of cuttings
- Find two plants with insect damage and determine the problem and possible remedies.
- Collect information on various chemicals used in the nursery industry.
- Assess plant ill health caused by agents other than insects.
To learn how to enrol click here