There are many different ways you can grow vegetables; and an almost endless range of varieties to choose from. The method you choose and the varieties you grow should depend upon the time, space, level of knowledge and other resources available to you. This course teaches you many different ways of growing, and what is needed for just about every vegetable you can think of.
"Lots of people are keen to grow their own food, and this course helps them gain the skills required to create their own vegetable gardens. It is easy to understand, practical, and can be adapted to your own garden requirements."- Tracey Morris Dip.Hort., Cert.Hort., Cert III Organic Farming.
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Cultivation and Planting
- Review of Major Vegetable Varieties
- Pest, Disease and Weed Control
- Hydroponic and Greenhouse Growing
- Lesser Grown Varieties and Herbs
- Harvesting, Storing and Using Vegetables
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Compile a resource file of organisations related to home vegetable growing
- Compile reviews of sixteen different vegetables suitable for growing at home
- Carry out basic soil tests on two different soils
- Obtain or make up a propagating mix
- Make a vegetable garden
- Identify weed species in a vegetable garden and suggest control methods
- Make notes about pests and diseases in a home vegetable garden
- Contact several chemical suppliers and obtain brochures or technical information sheets on weedicides and pesticides appropriate for use on vegetable crops
- Contact a few greenhouse companies and obtain both literature and current prices
- Either write to or visit a company (or companies) which supply irrigation equipment.
- Obtain catalogues, brochures, etc
- Try drying, bottling or freezing a vegetable you have not preserved before.
- List 20 different vegetables with information about their culture and harvest
To learn how to enrol click here