Develop a solid grounding in the principles of soil less cultivation of plants. When you remove the soil from a plant and take control of it's roots, it is essential that you have a good understanding of how it grows. Any body can grow plants in soil with reasonable success. To grow plants in hydroponics you must understand how the plant grows so that you can control the temperature, water, oxygen, nutrients etc. in the root zone.
"If you want to have your own hydroponic system for growing healthy food at home, look no further. This is one of our biggest selling courses, and has been studied by many happy hydroponic food growers." - Tracey Morris Dip.Hort., Cert.Hort., Cert III Organic Farming
This is a good starting point for those who have little experience in horticulture or hydroponics; whose main interest is in growing AT HOME. Unlike our other courses, this course is NOT intended for commercial growing in any way. You will learn the theory behind hydroponic culture, as well as receive first hand practical experience as you set up your own basic hydroponic system.
There are 11 lessons in this course:
- Basic Chemistry and Plant Nutrition - atoms, elements, nutrient deficiency symptoms
- Nutrient Solutions - calculating formula, hydroponic nutrition, preparing nutrient solutions
- Types of Systems A - classification of hydroponic systems, ingredients of hydroponic systems, rockwool.
- Types of Systems B - what makes up a system, 16 hydroponic ideas, NFT, solution dispensation.
- Plant Problems in Hydroponics - pests and diseases, nutritional and environmental problems, water and plant relationships, pH.
- How a Plant Grows - growth, nutrient solutions, preparing a solution, mechanisms of nutrient uptake, photosynthesis.
- Plant Culture - controlling environmental features, post harvest storage.
- Hydroponic Vegetable Production - how to grow vegetables hydroponically.
- Hydroponic Cut Flower Production - growing flowers in hydroponics, carnations.
- Soil Media vs Nutrient Film - berries, indoor plants, types of media, NFT.
- Greenhouse Operation & Management - solar energy applications in horticulture, greenhouse management.
- Special Assignment - a report on how to improve your present hydroponic venture, or a report on planning a new hydroponic venture.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Describe the nature and scope of hydroponic growing in a hobby situation.
- Explain basic plant nutrition chemistry in order to describe the composition and function of hydroponic nutrients.
- Differentiate between a variety of fertilisers and hydroponic nutrients, and suggest how these might be used appropriately in the growing of different types of plants in a hydroponic garden.
- Compare options for media and systems, in order to choose what is appropriate to a specific home situation.
- Design a hydroponic system suited to a particular home situation
- Diagnose common ailments in a hydroponic system, make a determine appropriate action.
- Describe the course of a hydroponic crop in a home situation from initial planting to harvest, and treatment of the harvested crop.
- Differentiate between solid media and nutrient film hydroponic techniques, and the way in which plants may be treated differently in each.
- Plan the production of a sequence of vegetable and herb produce for household use from hydroponic production.
- Determine appropriate methods for hydroponic cut flower production in a home situation.
To learn how to enrol click here