Become an Expert in Growing Tropical Fruits -in warm climates or in protected places such as a greenhouse.
"Everyone dreams of having a tropical island with fruit trees. In this course we have people create their own fruit garden at home or learn how to produce and market stock commercially. - Tracey Morris Dip.Hort., Cert.Hort., Cert III Organic Farming.
Demonstrate skills in the establishment and management of commercial fruit production for warm climates.
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Introduction To Warm Climate Fruit Growing
- Identify different types of fruit crops, which can be successfully grown in your region.
- Explain the nature of the fruit industry in your region (locality).
- Establishing An Orchard
- Develop a plan for the establishment of an orchard
- General Cultural Practices
- Determine the cultural requirements for different fruit crops in your locality.
- Tree Fruits
- Nuts, Vines and Berries
- Cultural Management Of A Fruit Plantation or Orchard
- Marketing Your Produce
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Compile a resource file of different sources of information regarding commercial fruit varieties.
- Compare the facilities used to produce six different fruit crops, in a specified locality.
- Determine criteria for selecting a fruit variety to grow as a commercial crop in your locality.
- Select five different fruit varieties with commercial potential for a specified location.
- Analyse the physical layout of a specified orchard.
- Determine the scope of commercial fruit growing in a specified locality.
- Demonstrate standard soil tests to three different soils to determine:
- Soil type
- Water holding capacity
- Evaluate the different soils tested to determine their suitability for growing different fruit varieties.
- Analyse the culture
- Weed control
- Soil management
- Pest control
- Disease control
- Determine soil management practices, including:
- Soil structure
- Weed control
- Determine the susceptibility of specified fruit species to pest and disease problems.
To learn how to enrol click here