Develop a broadened knowledge of Azaleas & Rhododendrons, their cultivars and cultivation.
Azaleas and Rhododendrons are actually in the same botanical category (i.e. genus Rhododendron). Azalea is a common name used to describe many smaller growing shrubs from the genus Rhododendron. Broadly speaking, azaleas have both smaller leaves, and generally a lesser height.
Considered by many to be the very best plants a garden can offer, azaleas and rhododendrons are some of the most popular plants grown anywhere. The course shows how to grow them to perfection, and builds your knowledge of varieties available, to give you a long lasting display of colour in the garden. Soils, weed control, feeding, pest and disease control, watering, landscape design and lots more are included over eight lessons.
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Review of the system of plant identification, general characteristics of the group, information contacts (i.e.: nurseries, seed, clubs etc.)
- Planting, staking, mulching, watering, pest and disease, feeding, pruning, protection from wind, salt, air etc.
- Methods of propagating this group of plants. Propagation of selected varieties.
- The most Commonly Grown Varieties.
- Other important groups.
- Lesser Grown Varieties.
- Making the best use of these plants. In containers, in the ground, as indoor plants, growing and showing, growing for profit.
- Special Assignment
- A study of one selected plant or group.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Discuss how Rhododendrons and Azaleas are classified.
- Describe the general cultural requirements that are common to all Rhododendron species.
- Select appropriate materials for propagation
- Propagate Azaleas and Rhododendrons.
- Describe species of azalea are most commonly grown.
- Describe a range of common varieties of Rhododendrons.
- Conduct valid research into lesser known varieties of Rhododendron and Azalea.
- Determine various uses and applications of rhododendrons in the home garden.
- Demonstrate the knowledge acquired for a specific group or individual plant in the Rhododendron group of plants.
To learn how to enrol click here